I just got back from 7 days at Burning Man deep in the Nevada desert and all I can say is, WOW! This year will go down in Burning Man history…
It’s hard to put the experience into words, but let’s just say I shed several tears throughout the event – which, of course, quickly turned into mud from all the dust on my face. Muddy face and all, here are some of the highlights:
1. Crazy sand storms tore through the camps. Yea, I’m sure you’re thinking the same thing – awesome!
2. A lunar eclipse on Tuesday, the 2nd day of the event. This happens, what, once every 42 years! Actually, it’s more like twice a year, but still, pretty sweet that it happened during Burning Man.
3. Later that night a guy climbed up the Man with homemade napalm and torched it. Insane! You gotta love the crazies making homemade napalm. No worries, though. The people rebuilt a new Man by Saturday. Kudos! Those guys interested in a job at Zazzle?
4. I had the honor of shooting for the Solar Flare Conclave as they performed in front of 1000′s of people right before Burn.
5. Right after all of the Solar Flare performances, the new and improved Man burned gracefully and then exploded into a small fire ball!
Soooo, all is done, time to pack up and go home, right? It would have been, if it hadn’t been for the unplanned events that went down next….
The Oil Rig Burn…yes, this thing exploded. Not a small, “make a funny face” type explosion…I mean, this thing really exploded! We’re talking a 400 – 500 ft mushroom cloud of fire, which in my opinion, eclipsed the actual burn of the Man. It was great.
All in all, the whole experience was unbelievable. Take a look at my photos – I hope they can do it justice and can describe my Burning Man experience more than words can. And of course, if you were there next to me in the desert, I would love to pass the torch (get it!) and hear your stories as well. Take care.
Photos here: Burning Man 2007