Word on the (Sesame) street is our favorite little monster is turning 3-and-a-half today. If you have a toddler, you’re probably familiar with this lovably unavoidable little guy. Arguably Sesame Street’s most popular character, Elmo’s wide-eyed, grinning face is literally everywhere. Toothbrushes. Bubble bath packaging. Shoes. You can barely make it down a grocery store or toy aisle without your child excitedly pointing and exclaiming, “ELMOOOOO!” And with that falsetto voice, bright red fur and questionable grammar, it’s easy to see why kiddos everywhere are obsessed with Elmo — and let’s face it, you kind of are too. In honor of this huggable little monster’s birthday, here are six things you may now know about Elmo, along with a few products that are so cute, they’ll have you speaking in the third person.
6 Things You May Not Know About Elmo
- Elmo turns 3 ½ every February 3.
- Elmo is the only non-human to testify before Congress. In 2002, he was invited to testify before the House Education Appropriations Subcommittee to urge more funding for music research and music education in schools. See, Elmo’s not just cute. He’s super smart.
- Elmo has appeared on the West Wing, Martha Stewart Living, The View, and Emeril. We’re betting you can probably download a few of these and catch them on your tablet.
- Elmo has a pet goldfish named Dorothy. Up to nine goldfish were used per episode of Elmo’s World so they could be replaced when necessary. The surviving Dorothys were given to good homes afterwards. Even pets love Elmo.
- Elmo’s favorite food is wasabi—which is why his eyes are so wide open. His least favorite food is brussel sprouts.
And last, but not least …
- Elmo loves you!