The Shea family began in the writing instrument industry in 1928 making fountain point nibs. With the introduction of the ballpoint refill in the 1950’s, the Shea family began injection molding plastic components to house the new writing cartridge. The business continued to grow over the next 60 years, expanding into the U.S. government, promotional industry, retail market and surgical marker field. When most other pen manufacturers moved off-shore during the 1990’s and early 2000’s, the company remained dedicated to its original goal of manufacturing a complete line of pens in the United States. Today third and fourth generation Shea family members continue to run Pen Company of America (PCA).