Hey, hey! Guys, I’m so excited to share this project with you today for two reasons. First, I recently had the privilege of working with Zazzle’s new custom fabric line and it’s fantastic! Second, I made an easy, washable dog bed for our little Leo that he loves, and it looks great with the rest of our decor. Dog beds don’t exactly come in stylish patterns, but this one blends right into our family room. See?
So first, I don’t know about you, but for me, there are definitely times when I search what feels like everywhere for fabric to match this or that and just can’t find the exact right thing. Partly it’s because I have an idea in my mind of what I want that’s way too specific. That’s where Zazzle custom fabric is great, because you can create exactly what you want! Don’t feel overly confident in your designing abilities? (Yeah, me neither.) Not to worry! There are a lot of talented people out there who have already designed hundreds of different unique patterns that are available to you on their marketplace. I promise you’ll find something you love there!
Now, here are the instructions for making a washable pillow cover for a dog bed.
Washable Dog Bed Cover
Nap Rating = 1 nap
Tools & Materials
- large pillow (mine was just an oversized toss pillow that came with the couch. You could find one at a thrift store, though.)
- fabric (how much depends on how big your pillow–or your dog–is)
- measuring tape
- straight pins
- sewing machine
- I would recommend washing and ironing your fabric first (although I was lazy and didn’t).
- Measure your pillow’s width. Add 1 inch to this number and write it down.
- Measure your pillow’s length. Multiply this number by 2 and then add another 6 inches for the overlap. Write this number down.
- Lay your fabric out on the floor with the print side down, and cut the fabric to your measurements.
- Now, hem the short ends by folding over the fabric a 1/2 inch, ironing it, then folding it over another 1/2 inch and ironing it again.
- Sew each short end along the hem you’ve ironed.
- Once the short ends are hemmed, place your fabric with the print side up this time, and lay your pillow in the middle of the fabric. Bring both short ends up to overlap on top.
- Make sure the fabric is snug around the pillow form and that the pattern is lined up, then pin it in place on either side.
- Wiggle the pillow out of the fabric, then finish pinning the two sides.
- Sew 1/2 inch seam along the two sides, removing the pins as you go.
- Using the envelope flap that remains open, turn the pillow cover right side out and insert your pillow form.
Now, your dog can flop around on a stylish, comfy bed and you can rest easy, knowing that you can easily remove the cover to wash it whenever you need to. As you can see, Leo likes his new bed!