Today we have an exclusive sneak peek at a special DIY for all of you sewing machine wizards out there. Join our friend Judith Hollies of Just Jude Designs to learn how to create a beautiful framed purse with Zazzle fabric.
You will need:
- 1 paper template, cut to dimensions stated
- 2 x template shapes cut from chosen outer fabric
- 2 x template shapes cut from chosen lining fabric
- 2 x template shapes cut from medium weight sew-in Vilene/fusible interfacing (for added structure, optional.)
You will also need:
- 505 Basting spray (if using Vilene/fusible interfacing, spray the Vilene onto the wrong side of linings)
- Liquid Fabric glue
- Sewing machine, matching thread, pins
Method: Assume ¼” seam allowances unless advised otherwise
- Place both outer pieces right sides together. Pin and sew both sides and bottom edges, leaving the top 3 edges unsewn.
- Repeat step 1 for the linings, leaving a 2” gap in the middle of the bottom edge.
- Box the corners of outer and lining pieces as follows: Pull apart the fabric at the corners and align the side seam on top of the bottom seam. Measure and mark 1” from the point (or 2” from angled edge to angled edge).
- Sew along this line and trim away the excess. Repeat for all 4 corners.
- Turn the outer piece right side out, but leave the lining piece inside out.
- Place the outer piece inside the lining piece so that fabrics are right sides together & the side seams are matching. Pin and sew around the top edges.
- Pull the purse through the gap in the lining. Hand or machine stitch the gap closed before pressing well.
- Insert glue into one side of the frame and leave to go tacky.
- Align the side hinges with the side seams and carefully insert the top edge of the purse into the frame. Use small pointed scissors to push the fabric well into the frame. If you get glue on the frame, leave it to dry before scrapping off with your nail. (Nail polish remover on a cotton bud is useful for removing any stubborn bits of glue!)
- Leave the glue to dry overnight before repeating for the other side of the frame.
Now that you have a gorgeous framed purse, make lots more!
Your friends will love receiving them as gifts!!