As the stylist at Zazzle, I am always on the lookout for new ways to fashion a basic t-shirt. Whether it’s a half-tuck, cuffed sleeves, or paired with a high waisted skirt, I love how versatile a classic tee can be. (I also love a good rhyme.)
Recently, I’ve been seeing a lot of fun alternations made by cutting out pieces of the material to give the t-shirt a new look. So in this DIY, I thought I’d take a crack at a choker-style cut out paired with a Barbie design to give it a 90’s feel. It ended up being super easy to do and resulted in a really cute product. Want to try it yourself? Follow the steps below.
But first, here’s what you’ll need:
- Zazzle Custom T-Shirt (Here’s the Barbie T-Shirt if you want to rock the look featured)
Here’s how you do it:
1. Start by trying on your t-shirt. Determine where you want the lowest point of the cut out to be and where you want it to hit on your collar. Mark the two points with pins.
2. Next, remove your shirt and fold it by grabbing the collar and folding it in half lengthwise. The pin on the breast should be on the folded edge. To make sure you cut evenly, match the collar seams and pin both sides together so when you start cutting everything stays in place.
3. Now it’s time to cut! Starting at the lower, breastpin, cut a straight line to the higher, collar pin. Then cut along the neckline to meet the first cut.
4. Unfold the shirt and there you have it!
This is my friend and coworker, Kaezel and I just love this style on her. Isn’t it adorable?!
Creating this choker cut out was simple and it really elevated the overall look of the t-shirt, adding a bit of edge and femininity. What’s your favorite way to style a t-shirt? Let us know in the comments below!
If you try this DIY please share it with us by using the hashtag #zazzlemade on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter. We’d love to see the unique ways you transform a basic tee.
Until next time!